With the recent success of Pokemon Go, a lot of players are now clamoring for more ARG. ARG stands for “Augmented Reality Games” and it refers to games that interact with the real world (take Pokemon Go as an example).
Now, I was thinking to myself, if some popular games were to have ARG, wouldn’t it be great? I think it will be!
So in today’s article, I will talk about 5 interesting and popular games that would be highly improved if it had the ARG treatment.
1. World of Warcraft. Blizzard’s MMORPG has been out for more than 10 years now and although the player base is steadily declining, a lot of players are still enjoying the game. Wouldn’t it be great if Blizzard would incorporate ARG elements into the game? For example, they might create an ARG app for mobile phones where players can acquire loot just by exploring the area they live in. Blizzard can create an app where players can link their accounts to it and so any item they can acquire in real-life will be made available in the game. Sounds interesting, right?
2. The Sims. Sims is an already established and highly popular franchise. What could make it even more popular, you ask? Well, the franchise can increase its popularity if it will implement ARG elements to the game. For example, players can walk around their area and find something that might increase the appeal of their homes or things that can help them level up their characters, among other things. Furthermore, hooking up with other people in real-life can also translate to hooking up with another character in the game. This will passively improve the gamer’s social skills.
3. Fallout. Fallout is a game where you control a lone survivor. Wouldn’t it be great if this game had an ARG department? Just imagine, you’re scouring for different resources in real-life so that you can use them in-game. For example, if you want to build a settlement, you can find some scraps in your area so that it will be available for use in the game. This will make you feel that you are the survivor in the game (well, sans the nuclear explosion).
4. Uncharted. For the people who do not know, Uncharted is basically a treasure hunting game (well, at least that’s the gist of it). It would be great if Uncharted has an ARG because it will entice people to go out there and search for treasure.
5. Walking Dead. Last on my list would be Walking Dead. One of America’s top-grossing drama series just needs to have an ARG to really shoot its ratings off the charts. A lot of people have been enthralled with the idea of a zombie apocalypse and wouldn’t it be a great way to somehow make people experience it in real-life through the ARG? It is an interesting point and with the Walking Dead’s popularity, the company responsible for this franchise will already have the resources necessary to create a Walking Dead ARG. Well, that’s if they have the plan anyway.
These are 5 games that will be interesting if it had ARG elements. Hopefully, with technological improvements, we will be experiencing and enjoying more ARGs in the future.